Now that we have all had the chance to read or view this year’s April Fools pranks it is only fitting to list the best I have found from across the globe. Unlike other best of April Fools listings, my list is not top heavy with Google pranks because for the most part I thought that too many of them were predictable.
April Fools Pranks are International
The only drawback to the list is that it only represents English speaking countries. For next year I promise to include pranks that were performed in Spanish speaking countries from December 28th.
“In the Middle Ages, New Year’s Day was celebrated on March 25 in most European towns. In some areas of France, New Year’s was a week-long holiday ending on April 1. Many writers suggest that April Fools originated because those who celebrated on January 1 made fun of those who celebrated on other dates. The use of January 1 as New Year’s Day was common in France by the mid-16th century, and this date was adopted officially in 1564 by the Edict of Roussillon.”
By the mid 16th century April 1st had been accepted as the day for pranks except for some Spanish speaking countries who consider December 28th as the day to play pranks on each other.
Top 15 Global April Fools Jokes
- This is what happens when a cute Koala Bear has his photo taken too many times: Drop bears target tourists, study says.
- YouTube was really just a contest and will be shut down until 2023: YouTube’s ready to select a winner.
- New video game for all the senses: Dishonored Golden Cat E3 Gameplay Walkthrough – Part 3.
- Scope’s Bacon Breakthrough.
- A flight I want to put on my bucket list: Virgin launches glass-bottomed plane.
- Smell the scents of the items you search for on Google: Smelling is believing.
- Sphero newest robotic gaming system the 150 pound Peacekeeper.
- My dream toy: Play-Doh 3D Printer.
- Twitter finds a new way to monetize, announces Twttr which only lets you use consonants (vowels cost extra).
- BMW Moves into a new vertical market: BMW GETS INTO STROLLERS.
- Finally a new flavor for manly men: GNC Now Offering 100% Shark Protein.
- New technology allows citizens to pay down National debt by Crowdfunding.
- The ultimate in pager technology from Virgin Mobile: R U Ready 4 Smart Pagerz?.
- Tic Tac announces new pizza flavored mint.
- Now you can get the full experience of space when you Skype: Skype into Space
By the way, our April Fools post can be found on our EAM CMMS blog.
Tell us what your favorite April Fool’s post was this year.
Did you like The Best of April Fools 2013?
Every share you make allows us to write more great stuff for you:
- It's how we prove that it's worth blogging to our bosses. Researching and writing takes serious time.
- I happen to get a free lunch for every post with 10 shares... I really like free lunch.
- The whole office gets free lunch for every post with 100 shares.
- I also like seeing our stuff on the internet. You have to admit it's really cool.