We hope everyone had a fun April Fool’s Day and thanks to the Internet we can now all share the stories and pranks that went on. But before we do that, some people have asked how did April Fool’s Day originate?
The Edict of Roussillon
To be brief, the world has always needed comic relief. According to Wikipedia, the oldest prank tradition stretches back to 536 BC when Persians played pranks on each other. Since then, the Roman festival of Hilaria (yes – this is where hilarious comes from) is one of more historical footnotes.
“In the Middle Ages, New Year’s Day was celebrated on March 25 in most European towns. In some areas of France, New Year’s was a week-long holiday ending on April 1. Many writers suggest that April Fools originated because those who celebrated on January 1 made fun of those who celebrated on other dates. The use of January 1 as New Year’s Day was common in France by the mid-16th century, and this date was adopted officially in 1564 by the Edict of Roussillon.”
After the Romans, medieval times saw a Feast of Fools and then gradually tradition was developed and standardized. By the mid 16th century April 1st had been accepted as the day for pranks except for some Spanish speaking countries who consider December 28th as the day to play pranks on each other.
The Best of April Fool’s Posts 2012
You can find an April Fool’s post on almost anything ranging from mythical technology to business humor to personal gotcha’s. I was originally going to try and separate them into categories but the shades of grey are too fine. So here are my top 15 picks for April Fool’s Post for 2012.
- Increasing work efficiency by learning A new way to multitask
- Better work efficiency with Spooning
- Secrets to streamlining your operations: The REAL story behind how Backblaze can afford unlimited storage for $5/month
- Increasing mobility with the World’s Smallest Ultrabook™: The VAIO® Q
- Asset recalls, IKEA actual paid advertisement in Australian newspaper of IKEA product recall
- Sustainability innovation: Cash strapped rights museum to be converted to water park
- Document management and printing of live Kittens Introducing KODAK LIVEPrint
- Improved technology: WebKit.js: Yes it has finally happened! Browser Inception is now possible
- Animal lovers are rejoicing with Warby Barker Glasses
- This made my mother panic: Queen Elizabeth announces appointment of Catholic as next Archbishop of Canterbury
- Because I have the original NES system: Google Maps 8-bit for NES
- I always wanted a rose like this: Interflora’s new animal print roses are the height of fashion
- Didn’t I see this in Mission Impossible? Connect with friends using the iPatch
- Fortunately I am a triangle kind of guy: Apple drops ‘thermonuclear’ patent bombshell patent for rectangle
- The author of this one is a personal friend of mine Mintek Saves the World
Tell us what your favorite April Fool’s post was this year.