Preventive maintenance for Hotels has become more important than ever before as a result of shrinking profit margins, aging assets and increasing pressure from consumers to demonstrate green concerns. To be a successful hotel, property managers must successfully navigate these challenges in the most cost effective manner possible. Hotels that make use of an EAM/CMMS preventive maintenance programs have a definitive competitive edge because they are able to take reduce unnecessary capital expenditures, lower labor costs as well as increase energy efficiencies. Hotels not yet making use of modern EAM/CMMS solutions have no choice but to change the way they care for their assets or operate at a deficit.
It is a given that as assets age they require additional maintenance attention. Assets that are not part of a preventive maintenance program will show greater signs of wear and tear resulting in either their early replacement or major repair costs. In addition, poorly maintained equipment is far less energy efficient because they require more energy to accomplish the same desired results. A drop in energy efficiency will increase utility bills, which can be substantial with equipment such as boilers, chillers and HVAC units. But it is not just the big assets that can increase utility bills. Hotels with kitchens, in-house laundry or even multiple spas need their equipment running at optimal performance levels to save energy dollars.
Hotel CMMS software is designed to make sure all hotel assets can easily be scheduled for preventive maintenance as well as inspections. It works by creating a centralized, computerized data bank of information on Hotels assets. The advantage of a CMMS solution is that by setting up this database, all maintenance activities from work requests through work order completion can be scheduled, tracked and reported on far more efficiently than a manual system. The reporting function is critical as it provides Hotel management with a historical record of the frequency and costs of repair allowing them to make better capital replacement decisions.
Labor costs have an immediate impact on Hotel financial health. The fastest way to post operating losses is to incur needless overtime. Overtime from Hotel maintenance teams occurs most often from emergency maintenance or repair work orders that do not happen during regular operating hours or when the maintenance expert is available. EAM/CMMS software can help avoid overtime. Implementing an EAM/CMMS will increase maintenance and repair scheduling flexibility by shifting maintenance operations to be pro active instead of reactive. Scheduling Hotel inspections and preventive maintenance enables the early identification of problems that can be scheduled during maintenance lulls. By scheduling the repairs in this manner, the amount of time spent performing emergency work is sharply reduced. A good rule of thumb is that planned maintenance should be 80% of the work orders with the remaining 20% allocated for unexpected problems.
There are numerous other financial advantages to implementing an EAM/CMMS. Some of these include:
- Better Capital budgeting as good preventive maintenance practices can lengthen the useful lifecycle of assets including roofs, siding or other high dollar replacement items. Delaying capital replacement increases cash available for other projects or cosmetic improvements.
- Faster response time to customer reported problems. Leaking faucets, jammed doors or other consumer complaints are addressed quicker due to the increased flexibility from scheduling. Consumers will be happier and more likely to return.
- Lower liability from accidents. The historical record of Hotel maintenance kept by the EAM/CMMS can help show that assets have been properly taken care of. This may negate claims of negligence.
When times are tough the smart Hotel administrators get the tools they need to do more with less. The cost of an EAM/CMMS is nominal compared to the efficiencies and savings the software can bring to the Hotel. But the best part is that the savings continue long after the economy recovers.
Tell us how your hotel handles maintenance issues. If you liked this article you may also enjoy:
- The EAM Work Order Lifecycle Improvement
- 10 Advantages of a CMMS for Hotels/Resorts
- An EAM/CMMS Can Get Property Management Ready for Summertime
Did you like Changing Hotel Preventive Maintenance?
Every share you make allows us to write more great stuff for you:
- It's how we prove that it's worth blogging to our bosses. Researching and writing takes serious time.
- I happen to get a free lunch for every post with 10 shares... I really like free lunch.
- The whole office gets free lunch for every post with 100 shares.
- I also like seeing our stuff on the internet. You have to admit it's really cool.