Prison Facilities Management Issues
This article will explain why Mintek’s Transcendent makes a good Enterprise Asset Management (EAM) for Prisons.
Prison Facilities Management
Governments have been trying to improve their prison facility management for decades. The outsourcing of facilities management (FM) has not had the results officials were looking for. According to a report issued by The Office of The Auditor General in 2001 an examination revealed:
- Agencies generally lacked information to enable savings from FM arrangements.
- Where savings can be determined, they have generally been at the lower end of the forecast five to 20 per cent.
- Savings on breakdown repairs are not achieved by all the FMs under outsourcing contracts, with costs under individual FMs varying ± 13 per cent against the benchmark.
The report goes on to say that agencies are generally not scrutinizing their FM costs adequately. Lastly the report mention more agencies going back to in-house facilities management. Having a Computer Maintenance Management Software solution can address all these problems.
Using a CMMS prisons can plan, schedule and monitor work and maintenance order more efficiently and cost effectively. In addition, a CMMS can play a major role in addressing several of the Hot Issues identified by GovFacility.com .
Some of the hot issues include:
- Emergency preparedness – a CMMS can ensure that emergency equipment is in good working order and has been maintained properly. This includes emergency power generators, fire extinguishers, vehicles
- Energy Efficiency – lack of maintenance on equipment that consumes power naturally results in more inefficient power consumption. Exhaust fans, stoves, cooling units and HVAC all need proper maintenance to extend their life-cycles and operate efficiently.
- Safety and Health – OSHA has volumes of safety requirements regarding the maintenance and care of facilities for the safety of workers. A CMMS will ensure proper safety maintenance is being performed, inspections are carried out and also lower liability in case of accident by showing a pattern of systemized care.
Don’t let prisoners escape because of asset failures